Bath Transmitter Fire

Thousands of homes in Bath are without TV and radio after a fire at the transmitter site in Bathampton.

View all 4 updates ›

Transmitter fire hits broadcasts in Bath

A fire at the site of the Bath transmitter has affected TV and radio broadcasts to thousands of homes. Crews were called to the site in Bathampton just before 6am. They put out the fire, which they believe may have been started deliberately, but it caused a power cut which engineers are working on.

Freeview TV channels, local radion and national analogue and digital radio channels have all been affected.

This was a couple of sheds, or outbuildings, on fire, off Golf Course Road.

We were called at around 5.45am and several appliances from Bath fire station are on the scene.

I believe this may be affecting radio and possibly television transmissions in the area at the moment.

Police have also been called as the early indications are that this fire may have been deliberately started.

– Avon Fire & Rescue Service

Sky customers are unaffected, as are people in the south of the city who are served by the Mendip transmitter.

More top news