The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
Ofsted unveiled a damning report today which uncovered "serious and widespread failures" when it comes to looking after vulnerable children.
A 20-year-old skier from the University of Bath has won a bronze medal in aerial skiing at the World Junior Championships in Italy.
A ban on growing genetically modified crops is to be lifted next week. But opponents say it could threaten the future of organic farms.