The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
Our sports correspondent Matthias Kurth takes a look at the Robins' new energy and determination under Gary Johnson.
Weather wizard Kate Haskell gives an insight into the rainy July we've had, and what might be in store for the rest of the summer.
A Breaking Bad-style drugs gang led by a cancer victim - just like in the hit TV series - has been jailed for more than 80 years.