The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
The 40-year-old man who died after being assaulted in Swindon on Bank Holiday Monday has been formally identified.
Nick Blackwell says the outpouring of love from the boxing community made him 'emotional' while on the road to recovery.
A delivery arrives at Bristol Zoo unlike anything it's ever received before. Some new sharks are in town.