The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
As Hollywood hit the red carpet for the "Fury" premiere on Sunday, Brad Pitt paid tribute to his unusual co-star; a WWII tank from Dorset.
After smashing the competition in the final of the U.S Open this weekend, squash player Mohamed Elshorbagy has been made the world #1.
Paul Reddan was 'jousting' with another driver at high speed when the fatal crash happened. Tonight he's starting a six year jail sentence.