The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
Two groups of Somali men have been found guilty of grooming and sexually exploiting under-age girls in Bristol. We tell the story
The Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is in Bristol to announce a huge investment in cycling so that more people will get on their bikes
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen's much-criticised Magical Journey christmas experience at The Belfry in Sutton Coldfield has re-opened.