The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
The grieving mother of a missing man has stopped planning his funeral - after finding out that body parts recovered by police aren't his.
A paedophile from Bristol has been sentenced to 14 months in prison after he was caught by a pair of mums posing as underage girls online.
New research has found that women get angrier than men when driving. So we sent our reporter to take the world's first Driving Emotion Test.