The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
A passer-by snapped this picture of a man apparently walking his pet goose down the street in Polperro.
Police have released CCTV images of a man they want to speak to in relation to an alleged assault in Weston-super-Mare over the weekend.
The plans to save £185 million could mean 15 community hospitals close with five more losing a number of beds.