The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
As the sun sets and a warm day we'll be facing a much chillier night. Rural places could see temperature dropping to as low as 6 °C.
After a lovely sunny day, we'll have a clear but chilly night with temperatures, especially in rural places, dropping to as low as 6 °C.
Charles Howeson has been sentenced to seven years and six months for historic sexual offences against eight young men between 1985 - 1994.