The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall
More top news
Tumble driers are the cause of almost one fire a day according to figures obtained by the Daily Mirror via a Freedom of Information request.
Volunteers are needed to save toads trying to cross busy roads. Thousands in the wild come out of hibernation to find breeding ponds.
Junior doctors across the West begin a second 24 hour strike at 8am this morning. The row centres on a disagreement over new contracts.