Advertisement

Toddler strangled by blind cord

A coroner has concluded a toddler from Gloucestershire who was strangled by a window blind cord died accidentally.

View all 4 updates ›

Toddler Sophia was only left for a few minutes

The inquest into the death of Sophia Lily Parslow's heard her mother left her watching Peppa Pig on TV for just a few minutes.

She returned to find the 17 month old hanging from a roller blind cord.

It's believed Sophia had probably climbed onto a chair to look out of the window or at a photograph of herself when she became entangled in the cord.

Her mother Amanda O'Halloran from Tirley said she was only gone for a few minutes to get a new nappy.

When I came downstairs I panicked because I could not see her anywhere. Then I saw her behind the right hand curtains - she was suspended by the roller blind chain around her neck."I could see that she had vomited. I dialled 999, put her on the floor and gave her CPR for 10 minutes whilst still on the phone.

An ornament on the window sill had been knocked over and a picture of Sophia, which she liked to look at, was behind the curtain.She could have tried to get the picture, knocked over the ornaments and got entangled in the looped cord.

– Amanda O'Halloran, Sophia Parslow's mother

No parent ever thinks this will happen to them. It's every parent's worst nightmare. It was tragic accident.

– Asst Coroner for Glos, Katy Skerret

After the tragedy Amanda and Chris launched a campaign for loop cords on window blinds to be outlawed.The British Blind and Shutter Organisation has since announced that regulation changes will be introduced next March to ensure safety devices accompany cord blinds.

More top news