Former Royal Marine chokes to death on pickled eggs in Gloucestershire

Gary Sims died on Saturday evening Credit: SWNS

A former royal marine has died after choking on three pickled eggs in an eating contest with his friends in Gloucestershire.

Gary Sims, who was 55, died at the Boar's Head Inn in Berkeley in Gloucestershire on Saturday evening.

Staff and customers tried to help the father of two, but he suffered a heart attack and died.

The pub's owners say it wasn't an official contest.

Witnesses say the ex-marine didn't struggle and just collapsed with his eyes rolled back into his head.

An inquest was opened this afternoon and adjourned pending further enquiries.