Live updates

  1. West Country (E)

Three year old left alone at Dorset pre-school

A three-year-old was left alone in a pre-school in Dorset for almost two hours after staff forgot to take her on a trip.

The girl was a pupil at Sydling Springs Pre-School, which is based in a village hall in Sydling St Nicholas.

Staff are believed to have only noticed she was missing from a class outing when they returned to the building.

The incident, which happened last month, was immediately reported to Dorset County Council and Ofsted, and the child was unharmed.

Inspectors later visited the school and found a child was left unsupervised, with staff not following risk assessment policies and procedures.

Registers were also not properly completed and did not provide an "accurate record of the number of children present", Ofsted found.

A spokeswoman for Dorset County Council said the pre-school had now put in place measures to ensure the incident did not happen again.

"The pre-school leader of Sydling Springs contacted the council's early years team on September 22 with a report of a safeguarding issue,"

"We were told that a child had been left unattended for one hour 40 minutes, the child was safe and the matter was reported to Ofsted immediately.

"So far, we have supported Sydling Springs by helping them address the actions set out in Ofsted's enforcement notice.

"We have also put in place a number of actions for the pre-school to adopt to ensure this never happens again."

– Dorset County Council

Advertisement

  1. West Country (E)

Prime Minister praises Somerset dredging operation

David Cameron has praised the dredging work being carried out in Somerset to prevent a repeat of last winter's floods.

In response to a question from David Heath, the Lib Dem MP for Somerton & Frome, the Prime Minister said he was excited by what has happened on the Rivers Tone & Parrett. His said his only regret was that he had not been allowed to drive the dredging machinery himself.

Man rescued after cliff fall in Looe

A man has been rescued after falling 15m onto rocks at Looe. Fire crews and the line rescue team were called to the scene near Hannaford Lane this morning.

They administered first aid and worked with South West Ambulance, Devon & Cornwall Police, HM Coastguard and the RNLI to transfer the casualty by lifeboat to a beach nearby. He was then taken to hospital by air ambulance.

Statement from Carmel Coaches

Carmel Coaches announce with great sadness that they will cease trading on 14th November having lost an appeal against the revocation of their licence to operate.

Although this marks the end of a family business that has served the Exeter and West Devon area for 30 years,we have to accept the decision made despite its harsh severity.

We can confirm that arrangements are being made for all future contracts and bookings to be honoured and our business at Bristol is unaffected and continues to trade as normal.

We would like to thank our long-serving hard working staff and our loyal customers for their support particularly during this past year which was marred by the tragic and devastating accident on 13th May.

We are working hard to ensure that our staff find continued employment and job losses will be kept to a minimum

– Carmel Coaches

Advertisement

Exeter coach firm faces closure

Carmel Coaches depot in Exeter Credit: ITV News West Country

Exeter coach company Carmel Coaches has lost its operating licence and looks set to close.

The company lost is licence shortly after a fatal coach crash in Cornwall in May this year, although this is not thought to have been the reason for the decision by the Traffic Commissioner.

Carmel had been accused of numerous defects on vehicles including an MOT failure rate which was more than double the national average.

Despite launching an appeal against the decision, which enabled the company to continue to operate, Carmel Coaches, heard today that it had been unsuccessful and directors broke the news to staff this morning. The company currently employs around 50 people.

Plans to remove phone boxes in Cornwall

BT wants to remove under used phone boxes in Cornwall Credit: PA

Plans by BT to remove 130 phone boxes from Cornwall because they are under used has prompted concern from North Cornwall MP Dan Rogerson who says they are a vital link for rural communities.

Of the call boxes set to close the number of calls in the last 12 months range from zero in Otterham, New Polzeath, and Stoke Climsland to 84 at Broomfield Road in Wadebridge.

“I appreciate why BT want to remove telephone boxes that aren’t used very often – but in many of our rural communities with unreliable mobile phone signal, or no signal at all, public call boxes can be a lifeline in an emergency.

“I am worried that if all of these call box closures go ahead, many villagers will find it harder to make an emergency call. I am working to improve mobile phone coverage across our area, but many communities simply don’t have a reliable mobile phone signal. Other people who don’t have access to a landline might also be stuck if there is a fault with the mobile network.

– Dan Rogerson MP
Load more updates Back to top