1. ITV Report

Microwaved pants cause flat fire

Dorset Fire & Rescue has warned people not to try and dry their clothes in the microwave. Photo: Andrew Milligan/PA

Firefighters were called to a fire at a flat in Weymouth after a man tried to dry his underpants and socks in the microwave.

The incident happened on Sunday evening in Market Street, after concerned neighbours heard a fire alarm.

The man was led from his flat and the flames were quickly put out by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

The fire involved two pairs of underpants and two pairs of socks which the occupant had tried to dry by placing in the microwave.

All items of clothing were destroyed in the fire and there was slight smoke damage to the remainder of the flat.

The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them.

– Dorset Fire and Rescue spokeswoman