1. ITV Report

Argyle ease past youthful Pompey

The League Cup, now known as the Capital One Cup. Photo: Nick Ansell/PA Wire/Press Association Images

There were mixed results for our local sides in last night's Capital One Cup first round matches.


Plymouth Argyle eased past crisis-club Portsmouth at Home Park.

The visitors, who had to release all their senior players to avoid liquidation, fielded nine teenagers in their starting eleven.

Argyle took a deserved lead on the stroke of half time through loan signing Johnny Gorman.

Pompey's young side held out until four minutes from time when they conceded two late goals from Paris Cowan-Hall and Nick Chadwick.


John O'Flynn gave City a dream start against Championship side Palace.

The striker headed Guillem Bauza's volley into the net after just two minutes.

But Paul Tisdale's men couldn't hold on. New signing Tom Doherty handled in the area and Jermaine Easter levelled from the spot.

Then a minute before half-time, goalkeeper Artur Krysiak's error led to Kagisho Dikgacio's winner.

The penalty against us was harsh, but I don't blame the referee because that area is so grey.

And the second goal was sloppy, you are always disappointed when a long ball gets in behind your team.

I'm really disappointed and the players are too because we had the game by the scruff of the net in many ways. But we will learn from it.

– Paul Tisdale, Exeter manager

Torquay had a miserable night against Championship side Leicester at Plainmoor.

The visitors, one of the favourites for promotion to the Premier League this season, scored two goals in each half to cruise into the second round draw.

Lloyd Dyer gave the Foxes the lead against the run of play in the 21st minute, with further goals from Ben Marshall, Matthew James and Jamie Vardy.

We were well beaten, and we didn't ask Leicester nearly enough questions.

If you're going to play a team of Leicester's quality, you need all 11 playing to their potential. We only had about three doing that tonight.

It was a reality check for us, but we made it too easy for them.

– Martin Ling, Torquay United manager

Yeovil warmed up for the new season with a comfortable win over fellow League One side Colchester.

Richard Hinds scored twice in the first half, with substitute Keanu Marsh-Brown chipping the third eleven minutes from time.

  • The draw for the second round of the Capital One Cup is at 12.30pm today.

More on this story