1. ITV Report

Your weekend football round-up



City's defensive problems continued at Ashton Gate today. They conceded three goals and also had two defenders go off injured. George Elokobi, making his debut on loan from Wolves, was stretchered off before half-time, and his replacement Joe Bryan was also forced off with a head injury.

It's since been confirmed that Elokobi's season is over after suffering a fractured and dislocated ankle.

After a goal-less first half, El-Hadji Diouf put Leeds ahead in the 63rd minute. Albert Adomah's header drew City level seven minutes later, but the visitors scored two goals in three minutes with Diouf getting his second of the afternoon from close range, and Michael Tonge hitting a 20 yard effort.

A late own goal by Sam Byram gave the home side hope, but they were unable to find the equaliser.

George has a shocking injury with a break and dislocation to an ankle. I am so sorry for the lad because his season is over.

We keep slitting our own throats with defensive errors and you can't always score a boatload of goals to win games.

I'm annoyed because I keep having to stand here and make the same comments. It's my responsibility to make us defend better and that was why I brought George in.

Now I have to look at the left-back position again. We also lost substitute Joe Bryan with concussion so it is a big problem.

– Derek McInnes, Bristol City manager
City's new loan signing, George Elokobi, will be out for the rest of the season after suffering a fractured and dislocated ankle. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Archive

What a fantastic week. To beat Forest, Everton and Bristol City over such a short space of time with seven players out injured is tremendous.

We passed the ball too much in the first half and I always felt we could step up a gear. Bristol were unlucky with injuries, but we had a goal disallowed, which I felt was harsh.

I think we are still some way away from having Premier League potential. At this level you are judged on the strength of your bench and we have been bringing on first year professionals.

But I can't praise the lads enough. I named pretty much the same team as played against Everton and that was a really tough game so to come up with another victory did them great credit.

– Neil Warnock, Leeds United manager



Swindon secured their fourth straight win after a rare goal by Simon Ferry was the difference between the two sides.

The midfielder bundled the ball past former Bristol City and Yeovil goalkeeper Chris Weale twelve minutes from time.

James Collins should have put Town ahead just before half-time, but somehow blazed over from six yards out.

A rare goal by Simon Ferry secured three points for Swindon at Shrewsbury. Credit: Andrew Matthews/EMPICS Sport

Yeovil have now lost five games in a row after narrowly losing at Deepdale.

The Glovers had taken the lead in the sixth minute. Gozie Ugwu was brought down in the area by Preston goalkeeper Thorsten Stuckmann, and Gavin Williams scored from the spot. That's how it stayed until half-time.

North End were fired up in the second half and went 2-1 up after goals from Jeffrey Monakana and Chris Beardsley. Yeovil's day then got worse when Ed Upson was sent off for receiving two bookings.

Four minutes from time, debutant defender Dan Burn put the ball into his own net to make it 3-1, but he did make amends by scoring at the right end just a minute later.

Gary Johnson's men almost stole a last minute equaliser, but Bailey Wright cleared off the line, and the home side held on for the win.

Dan Burn scored at both ends on his Yeovil debut in the 3-2 defeat at Preston. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport



Bristol Rovers have finally won their first game of the season after beating third-placed Exeter at St James Park.

David Clarkson put The Pirates ahead in the fifth minute. A long ball from Tom Parkes saw Clarkson capitalising on a mistake by Craig Woodman to fire past Artur Krysiak from twelve yards.

Former Rovers striker Jamie Cureton equalised on the stroke of half-time, slotting past a stranded Neil Etheridge.

Elliott Richards hit the winner for the visitors twenty minutes from time. His soft shot managed to beat Krysiak.

And Etheridge made sure of the three points when he saved well from John O’Flynn’s header.

David Clarkson put Bristol Rovers on their way to their first win of the season with an early goal at Exeter. Credit: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

On Friday night, Cheltenham beat Morecambe thanks to two goals from Darren Carter.

The experienced midfielder scored at the beginning and the end of the game. After just 90 seconds his 25 yard half-volley beat Barry Roche in the visitors' goal.

And he wrapped up the victory in stoppage time after being set clear by Kaid Mohamed.

Morecambe finished the match with 10 men after Kevin Ellison was sent off for a headbutt on Steve Elliott.

Darren Carter scored twice as Cheltenham beat Morecambe on Friday night. Credit: Empics Sport

More on this story