1. ITV Report

Glovers survive second half onslaught to beat Pompey

Attendance: 12,370

Yeovil Town bounced back from their Boxing Day defeat with a battling win at a very wet Fratton Park.

Gary Johnson kept faith with the same starting eleven that lost 3-0 at Bournemouth. There was a slight change on the bench. Keanu Marsh-Brown didn’t travel with the team, suggesting that he is one of the players leaving Huish Park next week.

Yeovil took the lead in the 15th minute. Jamie McAllister's free-kick was cleared only as far as Dominic Blizzard who struck his first goal of the season.

Gavin Williams and McAllister went close to increasing the lead, so it was no surprise when the second goal arrived. Again McAllister delivered a good set piece, and after a goalmouth scramble Byron Webster turned and lashed home his third goal of the season to make it 2-0 at the interval.

The home side looked a different team in the second half. They dominated for long periods and pulled a goal back on 53 minutes when former Swindon loanee Paul Benson scored from close range after a corner was headed back across goal by Adam Webster.

Marek Stech kept Yeovil in the game with several good stops, but despite all the pressure, the Glovers held on for their sixth away win of the season.

Dominic Blizzard scored his first goal of the season to open the scoring at Fratton Park. Credit: Simon Galloway/PA Wire
Attendance: 4,085

Exeter City threw away a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 with lowly Barnet.

City dominated the first half and created several chances. Danny Coles scored a deserved opener when he headed home Alan Gow's corner ten minutes before the interval.

The home side doubled their advantage on the stroke of half-time. From another corner, this time from Liam Sercombe, Scot Bennett fired in from close range.

The second-half began with more Grecians pressure, but the game changed once Barnet's player-manager Edgar Davids went off injured.

He was replaced by Jon Nurse, and he was the man who got the Londoners back into the game in the 76th minute. John Oster found Nurse in full stride, and after beating the offside trap, he tucked it inside the far post.

And worse was to follow. After seven minutes of injury time, a long ball was played into the area. It reached Andy Iro, whose shot on the turn squirmed into the net to rescue an unlikely point for the visitors.

Attendance: 6,983

Plymouth Argyle lost 1-0 to fellow strugglers Wycombe at Home Park. Argyle dominated the match, but they couldn't find the back of the net despite 20 efforts at goal.

Nick Chadwick hit the post in the 10th minute, and just a minute later the visitors had scored the only goal of the game. Matthew Spring dispossessed Luke Young to play in Matt McClure, who fired past Rene Gilmartin. It was Wanderers' first effort on goal.

Undeterred, Argyle continued to threaten. Youngster Tyler Harvey saw his shot saved by goalkeeper Jordan Archer. Paris Cowan-Hall also hit the woodwork, with Darren Purse and Chadwick heading wide.

Six minutes of injury time brought more pressure from the Pilgrims and more desperate defending from the visitors, but Argyle couldn't force an equaliser, and Wycombe leave with all three points.


Torquay United's match at Aldershot was called off on Friday lunchtime because of a waterlogged pitch.

More on this story