1. ITV Report

First win of the season for the Gulls


Gary Johnson changed Yeovil's shape to a 4-5-1 formation. Credit: PA

Goals from Johnny Russell, Craig Bryson and Chris Martin saw Derby inflict a third successive defeat on Yeovil at Huish Park.

The Rams recorded a second successive away victory in the Sky Bet Championship and left the Glovers with plenty of food for thought.

The visitors started brightly and came close to snatching an early lead in the second minute when Martin fired narrowly over debutant Wayne Hennessey's crossbar.

Derby threatened again moments later and should have scored a deserved opener when the lively Russell found space at the edge of the box, but his shot crept wide.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson left regular strike duo Paddy Madden and James Hayter on the bench and deployed a midfield five in an attempt to contain the Rams.

However, his side struggled to seize the initiative for large periods and often found lone striker Michael Ngoo isolated in the final third.

As the half progressed Rams' midfield trio Jeff Hendrick, Craig Bryson and Will Hughes began to dictate proceedings with their movement and sharp interchanges causing increasing concern amongst Yeovil's rearguard.

That concern was compounded four minutes before the break when Richard Keogh found summer signing Russell, who peeled off his marker and expertly curled the ball past Hennessey from close range.

The visitors doubled their lead two minutes later after a scintillating move by Russell and Martin put through midfield talisman Bryson, who effortlessly slid the ball into the net.

A shellshocked Yeovil were left hanging on for half-time and should have found themselves 3-0 down at the break after Jamie Ward, who was restored by manager Nigel Clough into the Rams starting line-up, saw his right footed strike smartly saved by Hennessey.

The hosts brought on last season's League One golden boot winner Madden and new signing Andy Williams at the break but it was Derby again who looked the most threatening.

Despite an improved spell at the start of the second period, Yeovil's dismal day continued on 58 minutes when Ward's 25-yard strike was palmed away by Hennessey, only for the onrushing Martin to score his side's third goal.

The Somerset side, whose only league goal came courtesy of Ed Upson's late winner at Millwall on the opening day of the season, poured players forward at every attempt and came close to pulling a goal back when winger Liam Davis' ferocious effort was smartly pushed away by Lee Grant, before Williams saw a penalty appeal turned down by referee Keith Hill.

A flurry of corners followed as the hosts looked for a consolation, but the Rams defence held firm to cap off an impressive away performance.

I thought they started very brightly and we never handled that. They had a couple of bits of clever play that got them in.

We changed our shape and thought 4-5-1 was going to be more positive than it was, but unfortunately it didn't work out for us. Some players freeze a little bit and do things very well in training, but all of a sudden it doesn't happen on the pitch.

We gave it a go in the second half and put them under pressure, but the game was already won. The goals before half time were demoralising and we weren't quite good enough to get that goal back.

It's a hard division and there are teams who are much bigger than us but I hope our fans aren't too disheartened. I hope they go and enjoy their Sunday lunch and let me sort it out.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Jordan Chapell scored both goals as Torquay won 2-1 at Northampton. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Torquay United came from behind to secure their first three points of the season.

Jacob Blyth had headed the hosts into the lead from Danny Emerton's cross on the half hour.

The Gulls levelled with twenty minutes left on the clock when Karl Hawley played in Jordan Chapell to slot past home keeper Matt Duke for his second goal in successive games.

And just five minutes later, Chapell secured the win when he latched on to Callum Ball's pass, beat defender Joe Widdowson and fired in with the outside of his boot.

Reuben Reid scored the only goal of the game as Argyle beat Rochdale 1-0 at Home Park. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

It's back-to-back wins for Plymouth Argyle after a hard-fought victory over Rochdale at Home Park.

The only goal of the game was scored in the 25th minute. Reuben Reid scored from the penalty spot following a foul on his strike partner Marvin Morgan by Rochdale goalkeeper Josh Lillis.

Argyle dominated the rest of the half and almost doubled their lead when Conor Hourihane's shot hit the bar.

Rochdale were the better team in the second half, but rarely tested home keeper Luke McCormick.

Kevin Ellison scored twice for Morecambe against Exeter City. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Exeter City's unbeaten start to the season is over after going down 2-0 at previously winless Morecambe.

Kevin Ellison scored both goals for the home side in the second half. The striker headed home Jack Sampson's cross just after the break to put his side in front.

The same two players combined for the second in the 81st minute - this time lobbing Artur Krysiak from 12 yards.

Arron Davies and John O'Flynn both went close for the Grecians, but were denied by home keeper Barry Roche.

More on this story