1. ITV Report

Substitute Gow at the double for the Grecians


Adam Le Fondre earned and converted Reading's penalty winner at Huish Park. Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Archive

Yeovil Town suffered their fourth straight defeat in the Championship after losing to a controversial penalty at Huish Park.

Gary Johnson made two changes to the team that started in Tuesday's Capital One Cup incident-packed defeat against Birmingham City, with Republic of Ireland international Paddy Madden again missing out through injury.

Meanwhile Reading manager Nigel Adkins made sweeping changes after the Royals' 6-0 humiliation at Peterborough United - with only Chris Gunter, Shaun Cummings and Le Fondre surviving the cull.

The Glovers, who went into the game having not netted in the league since Ed Upson's late winner at Millwall on the opening day, started brightly and created a host of glorious opportunities in the opening period.

Defender Byron Webster - who was at the centre of Tuesday night's drama at Huish Park - headed narrowly over from a corner before midfield talisman Upson's driven effort was well saved by goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.

Meanwhile, the visitors, who were also looking for their first Championship win since their opening win over Ipswich Town, toiled in the Somerset sun and struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

However, the Glovers grew in confidence as the half went on and should have gone into the break ahead, with Joe Ralls, James Hayter and captain Jamie McAllister all spurning good openings.

Adkins swapped Gareth McCleary for Danny Williams in a surprise first-half substitution and the newly-introduced midfielder came closest for the Royals before the break when he volleyed former Real Madrid and Everton winger Royston Drenthe's deep cross wide of the post.

Yeovil again dictated proceedings at the start of the second half, with on-loan striker Andy Williams coming inches away from breaking the deadlock after hitting a curling effort narrowly wide.

Williams, who made his first start since arriving at Huish Park from Swindon Town, continued to stretch the Berkshire side's defence as the game became an open affair after the hour mark, but both goalkeepers remained relatively untested.

With 20 minutes remaining, Yeovil once again came close to snatching a deserved lead after the impressive Upson hit a low right-footed shot wide of McCarthy's post.

However, Huish Park once again became the centre of controversy on 77 minutes after referee Trevor Kettle awarded the Royals a penalty after Luke Ayling was adjudged to have brought down Le Fondre.

The striker picked himself up and slammed past goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey to net his third league goal of the season and earn the visitors the valuable three points.

If the referee gives that as a penalty then he should have given one for us too.

Our boys were magnificent today and they deserved more than they got. We outplayed a very good Reading team and our boys did everything but score.

We kept creating chances and had lots of shots, and when they were on target the keeper made some good saves. I'm not sure you can do any more in a game and get beaten.

We respect the opposition and think they are still one of the favourites to get promotion, so we're pleased that we competed more than adequately with them.

I suppose that's why it's even more upsetting when it gets taken away from you by something out of your control.

I think we've found our Championship legs over the last couple of games, and I hope that bodes well for the near future.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Alan Gow scored both goals as Exeter City beat York 2-1. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

Substitute Alan Gow hit both goals as Exeter City's fine home form continued.

Gow replaced the injured John O'Flynn in the 22nd minute, and scored with his first touch less than a minute later.

The visitors had opened the scoring in the 19th minute when former Torquay United man Ryan Jarvis tapped in after Artur Krysiak had saved from Craig Clay.

But their lead only lasted four minutes after Gow was set clear.

The Scot maintained the Grecians 100% home record with a left-footed effort from outside the area late in the game.

Reuben Reid was once again on-target from the penalty spot for Argyle. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Plymouth Argyle were unable to make it three straight wins, despite taking the lead at Morecambe.

The Pilgrims went ahead in similar circumstances to last week's win over Rochdale - a penalty won by Marvin Morgan was comfortably finished by his strike partner Reuben Reid.

But the home side were level just a minute later when Kevin Ellison battled his way through Argyle’s defence to beat Luke McCormick from ten yards.

Ellison then had a hand in the winner, providing a cross for Padraig Amond to sweep home five minutes from time.

On-loan Derby striker Callum Ball (right) came close to breaking the deadlock at Plainmoor. Credit: Jon Buckle/EMPICS Sport

Torquay United struggled to break down a stubborn Hartlepool defence in a goal-less draw at Plainmoor.

Jordan Chappell had two early chances for the Gulls, as he looked to continue his fine scoring run.

Callum Ball also came close to breaking the deadlock in the second half, but fired a half-volley narrowly wide after being put through by Courtney Cameron.

More on this story