1. ITV Report

Derby day win for the Grecians

Alan Gow inspired Exeter City to victory over Plymouth Argyle at St James Park. Photo: Tim Ireland/PA Wire.



Exeter City won the first Devon derby of the season after beating Plymouth Argyle 3-1 at St James Park.

The Grecians had a penalty appeal turned down when Hamza Bencherif appeared to handle in the area.

The hosts went ahead ten minutes into the second half when Arron Davies fired in Alan Gow's through ball.

Argyle equalised 13 minutes later when Luke Young struck a 25 yard free-kick past Artur Krysiak.

City boss Paul Tisdale responded by introducing Jimmy Keohane for Tommy Doherty, and the substitute had a big impact as Exeter scored twice in the last ten minutes.

Keohane played in Gow who chipped Luke McCormick, and in stoppage time he pulled the ball back to makeshift striker Scot Bennett to tap in.

Luke Young equalised for Argyle with a 25 yard free-kick. Credit: Neal Simpson/EMPICS Sport

You can watch interviews with both managers below:

Ryan Jarvis came back to haunt Torquay at Plainmoor. Credit: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Archive

Struggling Torquay suffered a heavy home defeat to York City.

All the goals came in the second half. Wes Fletcher opened the scoring on 52 minutes and the lead was doubled fifteen minutes later when Josh Carson curled a free-kick into the top corner.

Former Gull Ryan Jarvis sealed the win, and Torquay's miserable day was completed when Karl Hawley fired over from close range in the final few minutes.


Liam Davis put Yeovil ahead at Middlesbrough. Credit: Dave Thompson/EMPICS Sport

Middlesbrough clocked up an emphatic 4-1 win over Yeovil to collect their first home Championship victory of the season and relieve the mounting pressure on manager Tony Mowbray.

Boro had to come from behind after a defensive error left Liam Davis racing free to score the opener for Yeovil after just four minutes.

The home side hit back quickly through Grant Leadbitter, who then had his blushes spared when his 24th-minute penalty was saved only for Albert Adomah to stab home.

Jacob Butterfield extended Boro's lead after the break before Kei Kamara's header put them out of sight.

Gary Johnson's men stunned the home side when they took their fourth-minute lead.

Home skipper Rhys Williams failed to cut out a long header forward leaving Davis free to race forward and shoot through the legs of the advancing Jason Steele.

Boro were level after eight minutes as a corner was half-cleared and Adomah chipped it back to the edge of the box where Leadbitter sent a half-volley bouncing through the crowd and into the net.

Yeovil were then almost behind on 12 minutes when Boro twice rattled the woodwork in quick succession.

Adomah crossed from the right for Kamara to first thump a header down off the crossbar and then stab the rebound against the post before it was scrambled away.

The Glovers threatened on 19 minutes as Davis robbed Kamara on the right and sent Paddy Madden past Ben Gibson and into the box but the defender recovered and tackled before the striker could shoot.

Boro went ahead from the penalty spot on 24 minutes after over-lapping full-back George Friend was brought down by Joel Grant.

Goalkeeper Hennessey did well to push Leadbitter's spot-kick onto the post but Adomah reacted first to stab the rebound home.

Albert Adomah and Grant Leadbitter were both on the score-sheet for Middlesbrough against Yeovil. Credit: Martin Rickett/PA Archive

Yeovil had a chance on 34 minutes as a corner landed at the feet of defender Byron Webster but he lashed it high over the crossbar from 10 yards out.

Then on 36 minutes Yeovil had the ball in the net as Ed Upson broke free and when his shot was saved Madden netted the rebound only for the flag to go up.

Boro started brightly after the break and deservedly extended their lead on 50 minutes.

Butterfield played a neat one-two with Leadbitter to find space 25 yards out then slammed his low shot inside the far post.

Yeovil almost pulled one straight back two minutes later as Davis cut down the right and squared for Sam Hoskins to skip into the box and smash in a 12-yard shot that beat the goalkeeper but came back off the post.

Boro then enjoyed a long spell of patient possession before scoring a fourth on 74 minutes, Kamara powering home a header from a Mustapha Carayol corner.

It should have been 5-1 on 81 minutes as Carayol sent Friend surging forward into the box to square for Kamara but somehow he scooped over from eight yards out.

Yeovil missed a sitter on 86 minutes as substitute Kevin Dawson fired in a low ball from wide on the right and Kieffer Moore - two yards out and only needing to poke it in - somehow managed to hook the ball clear.

More on this story