1. ITV Report

'Massive' win lifts Yeovil off the bottom

Byron Webster scored Yeovil's first goal at Watford. Photo: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport



Ishmael Miller scored on his debut as Yeovil recorded a 3-0 win over Watford to consign Gianfranco Zola's men to a fourth successive home defeat.

Byron Webster nodded the visitors in front on the stroke of half-time before second-half efforts from Miller and Joe Edwards finished the job for the Championship's bottom club.

Glovers manager Gary Johnson made four changes to the side which had slumped to a 2-1 defeat to Doncaster last time out, with Miller, Liam Davis, Adam Morgan and John Lundstram coming into the side in place of Joe Ralls, Sam Hoskins, Fraser Fyvie and the injured Jamie McAllister.

The hosts enjoyed the lion's share of possession in the early stages and came close to taking the lead in the 24th minute, but Marco Cassetti's strike was blocked by Liam Davis.

The Hornets carried on pushing, but the visitors resisted and it was Johnson's men who broke the deadlock in first-half stoppage time.

Webster got on the end of Davis' corner to nod the ball past Hornets goalkeeper Jonathan Bond at the back post.

Yeovil soaked up early Watford pressure in the second half before doubling their advantage eight minutes after the break.

Edwards flew down the wing before delivering a precise ball towards the head of Miller, who buried his finish in the back of Bond's net.

The away side continued to defend resolutely and to frustrate Watford, who came closest to pulling one back when Diego Fabbrini let fly from range, but his effort was blocked by Edwards.

Yeovil improved as the second half went on and added to their lead in the third minute of stoppage time when Edwards steered the ball past Bond from the middle of the area after good build-up play from on-loan Everton midfielder Lundstram.

t was a nice homecoming. I have been here as man and boy.

I helped build the old dog track here many years ago, during a time when I spent more time doing that than playing football. I then came back here and had some great times working for Graham Taylor.

I didn't come here and want to win more because it was Watford. After all it was 14 years ago since I last worked here and 20 years before that.

But I do always look out for their results and I have a soft spot for them.

It was more about knowing they can score goals and finding a way to stop them.

It is a massive win. Watford would have been fighting for a play-off place with a win this afternoon and most of the Watford fans would have seen this as an easy three points because of our poor league position.

But we have been unlucky this season and should have seven or eight points more than we do.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Former Grecian Daniel Nardiello gave Bury the lead at St James Park. Credit: David Davies/PA Archive

Exeter City had to come from behind twice to draw with Bury at St James Park.

The visitors went ahead through former City striker Daniel Nardiello in the 15th minute.

David Wheeler's volley levelled the scores shortly before half-time.

And although Bury regained the lead early in the second half, sub Tom Nichols rescued a point 13 minutes from time, turning in Liam Sercombe's cross from close range.

Neal Trotman came close to equalising for Argyle. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Plymouth Argyle's eight match unbeaten run has come to an end after the Pilgrims lost at home to Burton.

Adam McGurk scored the only goal of the game in the 12th minute when he raced onto Phil Edwards' long ball and fired past Luke McCormick from inside the area.

Argyle piled on the pressure after the goal, but couldn't force an equaliser. Reuben Reid and Neal Trotman both came close for the hosts.

John Marquis scored his first goal for the Gulls at Scunthorpe. Credit: Nigel French/EMPICS Sport

Torquay United have slipped to the bottom of the Football League after a 3-1 defeat at Scunthorpe.

Sam Winnall, an own goal from Anthony O'Connor, and Hakeeb Adelakun put Scunthorpe in charge and meant John Marquis' late strike was a mere consolation for the Gulls.

Alan Knill's side are now at the foot of the table after Northampton beat Accrington 1-0.

More on this story