1. ITV Report

First win in five games for Argyle

Plymouth Argyle won 2-0 at bottom club Northampton; A late goal earned Exeter City a point against Portsmouth; Yeovil Town lost 2-1 to Leeds, while Torquay United's match against Bury at Plainmoor was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.


Leeds United's Stephen Warnock (out of picture) scores against Yeovil to make it 2-1. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

Brian McDermott's return to the dugout saw Leeds come from behind to earn a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Yeovil at Huish Park.

McDermott had been advised to stay from Elland Road last weekend in the midst of the controversial takeover by Miami-based Italian businessman Massimo Cellino, having been told his time at the club was over.

But having been reinstated on Monday as Cellino waits for Football League approval for his £25million takeover, McDermott was serenaded throughout by his side's supporters despite seeing their side trail at the interval to Ishmael Miller's header.

Ross McCormack's hat-trick heroics in Saturday's 5-1 win over Huddersfield were somewhat overshadowed by the off-field soap opera that was unfolding but he would prove to be the United hero once more with a wonderful curling effort to draw them level seconds after the break.

And McDermott would celebrate victory thanks to a 40-yard free-kick from Stephen Warnock which caught the wind and looped over Yeovil goalkeeper Marek Stech.

The only change for Leeds saw McDermott back on the sidelines and it was a player the former Reading boss made captain who had the game's first chance in the second minute. Having been teed up by Rudolph Austin, McCormack's fizzing effort flew inches over the crossbar.

Both sides were struggling with the swirling wind inside Huish Park and even the most simplest of passing moves were breaking down.

McCormack and Yeovil's own in-form forward Kieffer Moore both failed to make the most of half-chances that came the way before the latter's curling 20-yard effort flew just wide of Paddy Kenny's goal.

And it was his strike partner Miller who broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when he leapt above Austin to head John Lundstram's inswinging corner across goal and into the bottom corner at the start of an eventful end to the first half for the Nottingham Forest loanee.

Yeovil were enjoying their best spell of the match with Miller agonisingly close to meeting Joel Grant's through ball before Grant nearly doubled the lead with an effort that he knew little about when Kenny raced out to meet the winger.

The visitors then had two chances in quick succession to level, with McCormack underhitting his chip straight into the grateful arms of Stech before former Glover Cameron Stewart shot wide.

Yeovil were then handed the perfect chance to take a two-goal cushion into the break when Sam Byram fouled Kevin Dawson inside the box but Miller's wayward penalty kissed the crossbar on its way into the back of the away end.

Joe Edwards gets in a shot against Leeds. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

And the visitors would make Miller pay for his profligacy just 35 seconds into the second half when McCormack grabbed his 23rd of the campaign with a stunning 25-yard effort that flew across goal and into the top corner after Stech's goalkick hit the wind and fell to the former Cardiff man.

Five minutes later Stech was called into action to make a fine one-handed save to push away Austin's thumping right-footed drive and then only a vital block from Joe Edwards denied Stewart.

While Leeds' leveller was a stunning strike in difficult conditions the wind paid a big part in their winner. Left-back Warnock floated a 40-yard free-kick from the right wing into a packed goalmouth only to see his effort catch the breeze and fly over the head of Stech who had come off his line.

Warnock's second goal for the club sparked crazy celebrations from the away supporters left open to the elements behind the goal, who once again serenaded their beleaguered boss.

Their side responded and continued to pin Yeovil in their own half. McCormack bent an effort wide, Austin's drive was blocked by Duffy before McDermott's men missed a huge chance to kill off the game with nine minutes remaining when Jimmy Kebe fired over the bar from close range after the ball fell kindly at his feet.

We've got to move onto the next game and not try to drag them down too far and hang on in there.

The first half was really in our favour and we really should have gone in 2-0 up. In the second half it was in their favour and unfortunately we made the mistakes they didn't into the wind.

Marek has been a great goalkeeper over the weeks and years but for him I'd put them down as two mistakes. We had only just said in the dressing room not to let that missed penalty affect us.

Millwall is massive, it is one of those cup finals.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager
Yeovil's Joel Grant and Leeds United's Cameron Stewart in action. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport


Reuben Reid gave Argyle an early lead at Northampton. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Plymouth Argyle recorded their first win in five league games with a 2-0 success at bottom-of-the-table Northampton.

With a strong wind behind them in the first half, Reuben Reid opened the scoring in the fifth minute when he was first to a loose ball in the area.

And shortly before half-time, Lewis Alessandra celebrated his 25th birthday with Argyle's second. His wind-assisted cross deceived goalkeeper Matt Duke and drifted into the far corner of the net.

Northampton couldn't make the most of the wind in the second half, as the Pilgrims defence held firm.

Liam Sercombe rescued a point for the Grecians with a late, late goal at St James Park. Credit: PA Archive

LIam Sercombe's 94th minute equaliser rescued a point for Exeter City at St James Park.

Portsmouth broke the deadlock inside the first ten minutes when Jake Jervis tapped in from close range.

But deep into injury time, Sercombe's shot took a wicked deflection to leave goalkeeper Trevor Carson stranded.

More on this story