Gloucester Cathedral has been awarded a £4 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The money will let them begin on stage one of an ambitious project called 'Project Pilgrim' to improve and restore parts of the building and grounds. More events are also planned to share the history of the area's people and places.
- the creation of a new Cathedral Green, providing a public space in the historic heart of the City
- conservation of the 15th Century Lady Chapel and its magnificent stained glass
- provision of a new entrance and welcome area
- improvements to access and story-telling across the site
- installation of solar panels on the nave roof
This will be supported by a three year programme of activities to help more people to connect with the Cathedral's heritage.
Work is scheduled to begin in the late summer.