Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mead family welcome calls for more urgent treatment of sepsis

William Mead died in 2014 of sepsis. Photo: Family

The family of a one year old baby who died from sepsis after a string of NHS failings have welcomed calls for the infection to be treated with more urgency.

William Mead from Penryn died in December 2014 after contracting sepsis as a result of a chest infection. An report found that medics repeatedly failed to spot signs he'd developed the condition.

Now, the health regulator NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) says sepsis should be treated as an emergency in the same way as heart attacks.

William Mead died of sepsis after a series of failings meant his illness was not recognised. Credit: Family

It's prompted the organisation to release new guidance on spotting symptoms.

In new guidance the watchdog calls on health professionals to consider the possibility of sepsis in all patients who may have an infection. William's mother Melissa said she was 'delighted' with the new guidance.

Melissa Mead from Cornwall says call handlers failed to spot that one-year-old William was seriously ill, and he died the next day. Credit: Family

KEY POINTS OF NEW GUIDANCE

  • Nice calls for health professionals to think about the possibility of sepsis in all patients who may have an infection.
  • GPs should send any patient who might have sepsis to hospital in an ambulance.
  • Once in hospital they should be seen by a senior doctor or nurse immediately who can start treatment.
  • The guidance also includes a checklist of signs and symptoms and details on what to do next.
Credit: ITV News

Sepsis is a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body's immune system goes into overdrive as it tries to fight an infection. It is often called septicaemia or blood poisoning.

READ MORE: