Firework fans are being urged to think twice before burning furniture on bonfire night or setting light to rubbish.
Dumping rubbish on a fire poses serious risks as burning rubber, foam or plastic causes pollution, while adding glass, cans and aerosols risks explosions.
Somerset Waste Partnership is warning that wooden furniture’s paints and preservatives could release harmful fumes, while very smoky or polluting fires can attract the attention of the police, fire service or local council.
SWP says ideal materials to burn are dry garden waste and branches, as well as paper and card.
Misfired or partly-spent fireworks should be soaked in a container of water overnight, and the manufacturer or supplier contacted for guidance on disposal.
For safety advice: