People living in a block of flats in Exmouth have been banned from putting up Christmas decorations outsides their homes - because of health and safety concerns.
The restrictions have been imposed at Dray Court in Exmouth by East Devon District Council - who owns the block.
Officials say lights and other festive items such as wreaths in the building's hallways pose a fire hazard.
But neighbour Dr David Barter says he thinks the council is applying regulations "a little excessively" - and that the notice board where the ban was pinned up could be seen itself as a fire hazard.
Valerie Drew says she's disgusted at the council's attitude.
For the past 12 years she has always put a wreath on her front door in memory of her mother and father, Winnie and Leslie Conway.
But the council says the measure was taken after a safety inspection by the emergency services.
Councillor Jill Elson added: "Of course with Christmas approaching we want everyone to enjoy themselves and we appreciate that decorating for the festive season is something our residents like to do.
"However I know nobody would want this at the cost of creating a dangerous situation that ultimately puts lives at risk."