Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Christmas lights fire in Dorset leaves man injured after escaping through first floor window

A fire-man assesses the damage to a flat in Dorset after a blaze caused by Christmas lights. Credit: Bridport Fire Station

A man has been rescued from a fire in Dorset which is being blamed on his Christmas lights.

The blaze took place last night in a property on Verne Road in Bridport.

Charcoal decorations and damage to the outside of the house. Credit: Bridport Fire Station
Damaged decorations and front of property. Credit: Bridport Fire Station

Firemen say it was started by an electrical socket which was overloaded with plugs for festive lights. The 21-year-old man escaped through a window and was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Police say the fire started at an overloaded socket. Credit: Bridport Fire Station
Festive lights and wires burned out. Credit: Bridport Fire Station

Crews from Weymouth and Portland attended the incident and rescued two dogs before extinguishing the fire.

They found the man had jumped from a first floor window to get out of the property and away from the fire.

Interior damage. Credit: Bridport Fire Station
A burnt out staircase. Credit: Bridport Fire Station