A college has been forced to close after a suspected outbreak of norovirus.
Headteacher Hugh Bellamy confirmed South Dartmoor Community College would remain shut until Monday while a deep clean takes place.
A number of students were struck down with the bug last week, but, since Monday the number has risen dramatically with many students arriving at school and developing symptoms.
The closure comes just a week after Bovey Tracey primary school was closed for the same reason.
What is Norovirus?
- Norovirus is the most common stomach bug in the UK, affecting people of all ages.
- It is highly contagious and is transmitted by contact with contaminated surfaces, an infected person, or consumption of contaminated food or water.
What are the symptoms?
- People often report a sudden onset of nausea
- Projectile vomiting
- Watery diarrhoea.