1. ITV Report

Four children rescued from house fire

Four children have been rescued from a house fire in Swindon in Wiltshire, after the blaze broke out in the early hours. Neighbours heard the smoke alarm and called for help.

Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service said the fire started in the kitchen of a terraced house in Crombey Street.

The fire service say their working smoke detectors saved their lives. Credit: PA

The fire is thought to have started when cooking was left unattended.

The smoke triggered the property’s smoke alarm, allowing the five occupants to escape without injury – four children were led to safety by firefighters.

Emergency services were called to the fire just before 2am.

The attending crews reported that the house had working battery operated smoke detectors, which activated and raised the alarm. There was already a lot of smoke from the fire and that could have been a serious risk to life had the family not been woken up.

Although this fire was relatively small, there was still a real danger to the occupants because of the smoke. Leaving cooking attended is never a good idea.

– Seth Why, Head of Fire Safety for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service