Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Two people taken to hospital after mixing cleaning products

A man and woman fell ill after mixing two domestic cleaning products, chlorine gas. Photo: PA

Two people have been taken to hospital suffering from the effects of exposure to chlorine gas in Bristol.

The man and woman, both in their 20s, are thought to have been using two domestic cleaning products in a bathroom, which when mixed created chlorine gas.

Firefighters from Temple, Bedminster and a chemical unit from Patchway were called to the scene to the five storey block of flats yesterday, 19 October.

The building was evacuated with around 25 people moving to a neighbouring block of flats while the crews dealt with the incident.

The crew had to use a breathing apparatus to enter the flat and used water to dilute the chemicals.

The property was ventilated using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Avon and Somerset Fire are warning the public that cleaning products should never be mixed and the manufacturer's guidance is always followed.