Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Bristol electrician warns of danger of some plug covers

Steve Palmer demonstrates how a socket can be made live by turning the plug cover upside down Photo: Steve Palmer

A Bristol electrician's stark warning about child safety plugs has been viewed more than two million times on social media.

Steve Palmer demonstrated how some of the plastic plugs can be used to make a socket more dangerous.

He says a toddler can easily pull one out and if they put the plug back upside down the plug is made live. All it then takes is for something small to be inserted into the lower pin for a child to be electrocuted.

Steve also warns the pins on some covers can even snap off, leaving a socket live but hidden behind a sofa.

He says it is possible to make sockets safe but urges everyone to think carefully about what they use.