Live updates

Council accused of putting PR ahead of safety

Council bosses have been accused of putting PR ahead of safety as the Authority proposes to cut funding for school crossing patrols.

The Conservative leaders of Devon County Council have put forward the plans to cut the money given for Lollipop ladies

The Lib Dem opposition say that the Tories are protecting council departments at the expense of front line services. The Authority says it needs to save money from its road safety budget.

We also spoke to Cllr Alan Connett, Leader of the Lib Dem group on Devon County Council.

We have been exploring alternative ways of funding school crossing patrols in the county in order to help the service continue. We are reviewing feedback from a public consultation, which will be reported back to Cabinet in due course.

– Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highway Management

The budget for this year will be set at a council meeting in Exeter on February 23.

Advertisement

Letter sent to parents following bomb hoax

Parents of girls who attend Truro High School for Girls were sent home with a letter today, informing parents of the bomb threat.

Dear Parents,

At 08:10 this morning the School received a telephone call informing us that an explosive device had been placed at the school. We took the decision to evacuate the buildings and await the arrival of the police.

The nursery building was searched first and those children were allowed to return inside along with our own Pre-Prep classes. The older girls were kept warm and dry elsewhere while police teams combed the site, working alongside our own senior staff and estates team.

All buildings were declared safe shortly after 9.30am and the girls were allowed to return to School. Special assemblies were then held to explain the situation to the pupils. Staff are on hand to assist any girls who may have further questions or concerns.

Officers praised the School's response to the call and have advised us that we are one of four schools in Cornwall affected by such calls this morning.

– Dr Glenn Moodie, headmaster

Advertisement

Schools evacuated after security threats

Hundreds of pupils were evacuated after four neighbouring schools received coordinated security threats.

St Ives School and Humphry Davy School in Penzance, and Truro High School for Girls and Penair School in Truro, made the decision to ask pupils and staff leave.

Police say the schools received the warning at around 8am but, by 9am, police said they found no threat or risk and buildings were able to reopen.

The four schools involved in the security threats Credit: ITV West Country

Head teacher of Humphry Davy School, Bill Marshall, applauded staff and students alike for their reaction to the scare.

I would like to commend all of our students and staff for reacting in such an impeccable way, especially given the really poor weather.

We acted on information given at 8:30am and after finding that there was no issue the pupils returned to their class rooms, I really must thank everyone for their co-operation.

– Bill Marshall

In London four schools were also evacuated this morning following calls about "suspicious devices" being left at each of the premises.

A spokesman from the Metropolitan Police Service said the incidents were being treated as "malicious communications".

In the West Midlands a further six schools were reportedly evacuated following bomb threats today.

It comes a week after similar threats were made at four different schools in the Black Country, and four in Bristol last week.

Load more updates