- West Country
- 3 updates
More than one 150 angry bus users in Weymouth packed a meeting last night to argue about proposed changes to bus routes in South Dorset.
First Bus plans to stop routes 5, 5A and 4B from March 24. But local residents said the move would leave many elderly and infirm people isolated in their own homes. The bus operator blames tough economic times on the decision.
It also says that the money the company receives from the concessionary fare scheme is less than forty per cent of the actual journey price. Fuel rebate has also been reduced so it's been left with no option unless Dorset County Council steps in to subsidise these routes.
The meeting was called by South Dorset MP Richard Drax who had been contacted by many of his constituents unhappy with the decision to axe routes.