In announcing a multi-billion spending programme on major infrastructure projects across the country, Danny Alexander, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, says money will be earmarked to widen the problematic A303, which runs from Wiltshire to Cornwall.
The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced that there will be funding to widen the A303, which runs from Wiltshire to Cornwall but has a number of bottlenecks, especially on the Blackdown Hills in Somerset where it becomes single carriageway.
– Danny Alexander MP, Chief Secretary to the Treasury
Any Honourable Member – from the Prime Minister down – who lives in Cornwall, or has driven there for their holidays will want to see a better A303.
The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, has announced plans to boost the country's economy by investing billions of pounds in a series of major infrastructure projects, which will have a big impact in our region.
- A multi-billion pound guarantee to advance the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point
- £10 million to be spent nationally to clear the backlog of repairs in schools plus investment to create new school places
- Further £250 million investment in superfast broadband
- £370 million fund to improve flood defences will increase every year to 2020. The Government has also agreed a deal on flood insurance.
- £10 billion of investment in road repairs, including pot holes
- Investment on widening roads, including the A303 which runs through Wiltshire to Cornwall