Campsite CO warning

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.

Live updates

Campers warned not to use gas appliances in tents

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.

At the Hidden Valley Camp site near Braunton staff make sure all visitors are aware of the correct way of using gas stoves and heaters.

Manager Richard Legg advises campers never to use gas appliances within tents:

Advertisement

Make sure your gas appliances are well maintained

Gas appliances should not be used in tents. Credit: ITV News West Country

Wales and West Utilities has warned parents to make sure their children are aware of the dangers of using gas appliances while away at festivals in the region.

The company which supplies mains gas to many households in the West Country is urging people to ensure that portable gas heaters and stoves are also well maintained and serviced.

Campsite CO warning: "It's better to be safe than sorry"

Jo Russell has a carbon monoxide alarm. Credit: ITV News West Country

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.

At the Hidden Valley Camp site near Braunton staff make sure all visitors are aware of the correct way of using gas stoves and heaters.

Manager Richard Legg advises campers never to use gas appliances within tents.

Jo Russell, a holidaymaker from Bristol said:

"We've got our carbon monoxide alarm. There were a couple of deaths last year on camp sites so my dad suggested we got it. It's better to be safe than sorry."

Carbon monoxide warning for campers

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.

Bethan O'Brien from Andover, Hampshire died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a campsite in Braunton.

It was reported that a gas heater had been used inside the tent she was sharing with two friends.

The 20-year-old died despite attempts at CPR while her companions were treated at hospital.

At a nearby camp site signs are clearly displayed also warning of the dangers of smoke inside tents.

Signs at this campsite in Braunton warn holidaymakers about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Credit: ITV News West Country
Back to top