An inquest into the death of 18 year old Harry Martin will begin in Plymouth this morning. Harry's body was found at Carswell Cove after a 10 day search. He'd gone out to take photos of the stormy sea on the 2nd of January near his home in Noss Mayo.
Prayers were said at churches in South Devon today for the teenager Harry Martin who went missing last week. Yesterday a body was found in Carswell Cove, and a formal identification will take place on Monday 13 January.
You will know by now that Harry has been recovered from the sea and is at peace. We have been praying for him to be found, and our prayers have been answered.Georgina, Tony, James and the rest of the family know that they have our love and continuing support as they begin to come to terms with Harry’s death. They remain very grateful to everyone who has searched and especially to those who went out and contributed to the discovery of Harry’s body.
Police searching for missing South Devon teenager Harry Martin have found a body.
The 18-year-old from Membland, Newton Ferrers, was last seen on January 2nd heading towards the coast to take photographs of the storms.
An unofficial search party was organised this morning, and a body was discovered in the sea by canoeists at Bigbury Bay. It was brought to shore by the Plymouth Lifeboat.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "We were informed by coastguards at about 10.40 this morning.
"I must stress that the body has not been identified at this stage."
Emergency services including the Urban Search and Rescue Group, Dartmoor Rescue Group, Coastguards, the inshore and offshore lifeboats, the RAF Chivenor search and rescue helicopter, together with members of the local community have all been involved in the search since Harry's disappearance.
The police are very appreciative of the public’s help in the search and are aware of their desire to continue searching for Harry over the weekend. This is not discouraged however some areas that have been searched are very close to the coastline and in some places very treacherous and it is very important that members of the public do not put themselves in danger as public safety is paramount.
Police say the search for missing 18 year-old Harry Martin has been scaled down, from 'active' to 'responsive'. This means the search in its current form will end and only be resumed if and when police receive new information.
Officers will be talking to residents in Harry's home town of Newton Ferrers, Devon, over the weekend to try to find out more about his disappearance. They say their search has exhausted all potential locations in the area.