- West Country (W)
- 2 updates
There are some significant risks in the way Devon and Cornwall Police tackles domestic abuse and improvements are needed according to HM HM Inspectorate of Constabulary.
In a national inspection of how police forces respond to cases of domestic violence, inspectors found that, while it is a clear priority, the force does not yet provide a consistent service in all cases of domestic abuse.
- In Devon and Cornwall, domestic abuse accounts for 3% of calls to the police for assistance
- Of these calls, 46% were from repeat victims and domestic abuse accounts for 11% of all recorded crime
- The force also recorded 10,158 assaults with injury, of these 3,411 were domestic abuse related
- This is 34% of all assaults with injury recorded for the 12 months to end of August 2013.
- Devon and Cornwall has a low arrest rate - for every 100 domestic abuse crimes recorded, there were 51 arrests in Devon and Cornwall. For most forces the number is between 45 and 90.