16th century stately home in Dorset gutted by ‘suspicious’ fire

Detectives are appealing for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward after a suspicious fire at a property in Beaminster.

Police and firefighters were alerted to Parnham House in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Live updates

Owner of fire-hit stately home dies

Parnham House in Beaminster burned down in April. Credit: @DWFRSCraigBaker

The owner of a 16th century stately home in Dorset which was destroyed by fire, has died.

Parnham House in Beaminster went up in flames in April.

Its owner Michael Treichl was later questioned by police, but denied any wrongdoing.

A family spokesman said Mr Treichl, who was 68, had been suffering from severe depression before he died.

Police are still investigating the cause of the fire.

Advertisement

Man arrested in connection with Beaminster mansion fire

Fire crews damp down in the aftermath of the blaze. Credit: @DWFRSCraigBaker

Detectives investigating the fire that wrecked a historic mansion in Dorset have arrested a 68 year-old man. Parnham House in Beaminster was gutted after the blaze broke out at last weekend.

The man who's being held is said to be from the Beaminster area. Police confirmed this morning that the fire had been fully extinguished. The house remains cordoned off while investigators sift the wreckage.

Former owner speaks out over 'tragic' fire

John Makepeace lived at Parnham House for more than three decades and it's where he ran his woodwork design school from.

He says when he called the 80 room property home, precautions were taken to avoid such tragedies.

Furniture designer Mr Makepeace bought the property in 1976 and ran his School for Craftsmen in Wood in the house.

Police cordons surround burnt out manor house

Cordon on one of the gates leading into the grounds of Parnham House. Credit: ITV News West Country

Police cordons surround the gates of Parnham House in Dorset following a huge fire which has destroyed part of the property.

The fire that gutted the Grade I listed stately home is being treated as 'suspicious' and police have issued an appeal calling for witnesses to come forward.

READ MORE:

Advertisement

Back to top

Latest ITV News reports