Live updates

Devon surfer's sixty foot wipe-out

Dramatic footage has emerged of a surfer being engulfed by a 60ft wave as he attempted to break a world record.

Andrew Cotton from Braunton in Devon escaped with a minor injuries when he fell and lost his surfboard in Nazare in Portugal on Saturday.

He was hit by a second wave, which he described "like being hit by a truck", before eventually being pulled to safety.

Cotton wants to be back in the water in the next fortnight. He is hoping to beat the current world record for the biggest wave ever surfed, which was set in Nazare in 2011 with a wave measuring 78ft.

Lydia & Millie Cross become meningitis ambassadors

A North Devon schoolgirl is raising awareness of an infection that almost cost her and her sister their lives.

Lydia Cross from Braunton and her younger sister Millie are now ambassadors for the Meningitis Research foundation.

Lydia has made national news in recent years for dealing so well with her prosthetic legs after having both legs amputated below the knee. Millie, though, was the more seriously ill at the time.


Braunton meat cleaver robbers jailed

Two men who attacked a 65-year-old woman with a meat cleaver as they attempted to rob the shop she was working in in North Devon have today been sentenced.

Lee Prowse who asked for 15 other offences to be taken into consideration was jailed for seven years. While Jamie Latta was given a six year sentence.

Richard Lawrence was at Exeter Crown Court:

Full report: Grandmother dies of brain haemorrhage after doctors fail to spot symptoms

A grandmother who died from a massive brain haemorrhage could have been saved, were it not for a catalogue of errors from two of the region's biggest hospitals. Christine Smith from Braunton had symptoms which should have alerted doctors.

But Derriford in Plymouth and North Devon District in Barnstaple both failed to spot the seriousness of her condition. She died three days before a scheduled hospital appointment.


"We took this incident very seriously" say NHS

I absolutely understand how devastating this must have been for the family and would like to apologise once more for the failure to diagnose in this very sad case.We took this incident very seriously and carried out a full internal investigation, sharing the outcome face-to-face with the family in 2010.

– Dr Alison Diamond, Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust

NHS Trusts apologise for failings

In a joint statement, the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust and Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust apologised to Mrs Smith's family.

Both the Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust and Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust are committed to the highest standards of healthcare and all those involved with the care and treatment of Christine Smith profoundly regret that opportunities were missed to provide her with the care she required.

– Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust & Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Doctors were trying to "brush under carpet"

Mrs Smith was first taken to the North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple Credit: ITV News West Country

Mrs Smith, from Braunton, had first gone to the North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple with persistent headaches, vertigo and numbness in the face. They were symptoms of two deadly enlarged blood vessels putting pressure on her brain.

When the aneurisms were detected, the mother-of-four was referred to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital.

Mrs Smith's daughter, Beverley Hopkins, was determined to discover what had happened with her mother's care at both the North Devon Healthcare NHS Trust and Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust and took legal action.

"We were all devastated by her death but when I wrote to the hospital trusts and health ombudsman to find out what had happened and they tried to fob me off for two years it was another kick in the teeth.

"It generally felt they were trying to brush it under the carpet and after getting nowhere for two years I decided legal action was my only option.

Load more updates