Live updates

Pedestrian in serious condition after Camborne crash

A woman is in a serious condition at the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro after a crash in Camborne this morning. A car collided with her and a shop window in Trelowarren Street just after 9.45 am.

She was taken to hospital with serious leg injuries. The male car driver was treated for shock. Police are investigating whether other vehicles were involved.

Advertisement

'Don't turn our leisure centre into a retail park'

More than 100 people gathered outside a leisure centre in Cornwall this morning to fight against plans to turn it into a retail park.

Carn Brea Leisure Centre in Camborne has been serving the community for 40 years, but Cornwall Council is looking at selling it off to developers - meaning the town could be left with nothing.

Protesters, along with Councillor Jude Robinson, Camborne North, Labour.

Cornwall man wins £6 million damages after fall

An RAF officer from Cornwall who suffered crippling injuries when he dived head-first into a shallow ball pond during an It's a Knockout-style fun day is due to up to £6 million damages after a High Court ruling. The money will pay for the huge cost of his daily care.

Senior Aircraftman, Robert Uren, from South Tehidy near Camborne, was 21 and at the start of the Air Force career he had dreamed of when he was paralysed during what his lawyers described as a "silly, childish, game".

The July 2005 charity event at RAF High Wycombe, saw competitors dive into a blow-up pool filled with plastic fruit. The dangers of entering head-first were not discussed in the risk assessment.

This may simply be one occasion when unfortunately a full and adequate risk assessment was simply overlooked. ... This was a responsibly organised day that, sadly, ended in a tragedy that could and should have been avoided."

– Mr Justice Foskett, presiding judge

Fire service warn of carbon monoxide dangers

Cornwall Fire Service is warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after three people died at their caravan home in Camborne at the weekend.

John and Audrey Cook, their daughter Maureen and their pet dog, died within minutes - after inhaling fumes from a faulty heater.

Fire officers say having gas appliances checked every year and fitting a carbon monoxide alarm could save lives.

Advertisement

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories