More than 5 million people in the West Country are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because they do not have an alarm in their home.
The new research is part of a campaign to spread the awareness of the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
Four people from Wellington in Somerset have been taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas leak at their home.
Fire crews were called out on saturday evening after reports of a carbon monoxide alarm going off.
Ambulance crews treated the four at the scene before taking them to hospital.
Crews found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide inside the house. The Gas board has made the property safe.
Neighbours have tonight paid tribute to a Cornish guest house owner who is believed to have died from poisonous gas fumes. Gill Adams and her three dogs were found dead on the ground floor of the house in St Ives.
She's been described as a loveable lady, who was at the heart of the community. The fire service is urging householders to fit alarms which can detect deadly gases. Our Cornwall correspondent Steve Hardy reports.
Gill Adams died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at her bed and breakfast on Bedford Road in St Ives yesterday. Her three dogs were also found dead in the house. Neighbours have issued this statement.
A woman and three dogs have been killed after apparently being poisoned by carbon monoxide at a bed and breakfast she ran in St Ives. The fire service says Jill Adams' husband was away at the time and there were no guests at the property, otherwise there would have been even more casualties.
It is believed the woman who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in St Ives was Jill Adams, who was in her 60s. Mrs Adams' body and those of her three dogs were found on the ground floor of the bed and breakfast she ran in Bedford Road.
Experts are examining a number of gas appliances in the property.
A father who nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning on a camping holiday in Cornwall is backing a barbecue safety campaign.
Dave Smith from Birmingham was left unconsious after bringing a barbecue into his family's tent in Padstow last year. He was only saved by his children who managed to raise the alarm. Kathy Wardle reports.
Gas safety body, Gas Safe Register, is warning against the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning when camping. A study shows that one in five people didn't know that using a gas barbeque inside a tent can lead to the illness.
Around a quarter of those holidaying in the UK this summer will be camping or caravanning.