Fire officers have praised a family for their actions after a fire destroyed their home near Cullompton.
Working smoke alarms alerted the family to the danger when the blaze started in the kitchen of their end-of-terrace property, and they were able to leave their home quickly and safely.
A closed internal door also helped delay the spread of the fire while the four children and their father left the house without stopping to pick up possessions. Two dogs and a cat also left the property safely.
This was a severe fire with temperatures rising to in excess of 1,000 degrees celsius. I would like to congratulate the family for doing exactly the right thing when the fire occurred and having the early warning in place to alert them to the fire. At this time of night, and due to the severity of the fire, this incident could have had more severe consequences.
– Incident Commander Nigel Deasy, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service
Five people have been saved from a house fire in Bradninch near Cullompton, Devon. They were rescued by crews who were called out just before 3am. Two children have been taken to hospital with breathing difficulties.
The end-of-terrace house has been destroyed and an investigation is underway.