Live updates

Police statement from excavation at paedophiles home

Devon & Cornwall Police have issued a statement as they continue to dig-up the garden of two convicted paedophiles, David and Pauline Williams.

Following intelligence received, Devon and Cornwall Police are undertaking excavation work at a property in Devon.

This relates to historic intelligence connected to the address and its former occupants. It is expected to take up to four days to complete.

Specialist officers will be involved in the excavation which we hope will have as little impact on the local community as possible.

– Devon & Cornwall Police Spokesperson

Following the statement, the police said they would not take questions from media.

Neighbours coming to terms with 'gruesome' excavation

Credit: ITV West Country

The garden of paedophile friends of serial killers Fred and Rosemary West is being dug up by police after a tip-off.

Neighbours say the excavation process taking place around them is 'gruesome'.

Speaking to ITV News a neighbour, who asked not to be named, says that police officers had been at the bungalow since Tuesday.

"It is pretty gruesome, terrible really," she said. "I think they only lived there for a couple of years at most.

Credit: Devon & Cornwall Police

She goes on to say "an old lady lived there before, she was a church-going lady, she would be turning in her grave if she knew."

They obviously moved here as a hideaway because it is a villagey place where nobody would know them.

– Neighbour

The neighbour said that no-one has lived in the house since the pair were jailed.

Advertisement

Brazen thief steals phone from side of police station

The wall box phone from Devonport Police station has been stolen.

The crime was publicised by local PC, Dan Box, on Twitter - who urged those who knew anything to contact police.

The phone is on the side of the station and allows passerby's to contact staff quickly.

The station in Fore Street is home to officers from all the main strands of policing, including emergency response officers, the local neighbourhood team and the crime investigation department.

A Google Street View of the phone Credit: A Google Street View of the phone

Advertisement

Evidence in historic Devon schoolgirl murder case submitted to prosecutors

Robert Black Credit: PA

A file of evidence against a dead man suspected of killing schoolgirl Genette Tate nearly 40 years ago has been submitted to prosecutors.

Scottish serial child killer Robert Black died in jail in January – and he was the only suspect in the murder of the 13 year old Devon girl in 1978.

Devon and Cornwall Police have sent a file to the Crown Prosecution Service.

There was some talk of it being submitted last autumn, then the CPS would have had several months to decide whether to prosecute Black.

That would have meant that Black would have died in January knowing that he was going to put on trial for Genette’s murder.

I await the result of the CPS decision with interest.

But I cannot see the CPS in these cash strapped days putting a dead man on trial. You cannot add yet another life term to a dead serial child killer.

Black was not going anywhere but he has denied us our day in court. That is hugely disappointing for the family and the police.

– John Tate, Genette's father
Genette Tate Credit: ITV News

Genette’s body has never been found. She vanished while delivering newspapers one sunny afternoon in August 1978 in her home village of Alyesbeare near Exeter.

Her case remains the longest running missing persons inquiry in British history.

Former detectives were called in to work on the cold case and were devastated that Black, 68, died in an Northern Ireland jail when they were close to charging him.

The major part of a file concerning this matter has now been sent to the CPS for a charging decision.

This has been a long and complex enquiry and we have kept the family of Genette Tate informed throughout.

We now await further direction from the CPS on how this may progress in the coming weeks.

– Devon and Cornwall police

Witness appeal after woman seriously assaulted on a Torquay street

Credit: PA

A woman has been seriously assaulted in the street in Torquay.

Police were called to Hartop Road at 5:50am on Wednesday 23 March after reports of a serious assault involving a man and a woman who were known to each other.

She was taken to Torbay Hospital with life-threatening injuries and has since been transferred to Derriford.

A local man, also in his 40s, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder - he was also taken to Torbay Hospital with life-threatening injuries sustained during the incident.

I would like to reassure residents that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

We would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the assault or the moments before it happened.

– Superintendent Dave Thorne, Senior Investigating Officer

Did you see man repeatedly punched in face in '20-person fight'?

Credit: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Did you see a large fight break out outside a pub in Plymouth on Sunday?

A man was hospitalised with serious injuries to his face after the midnight clash outside The Windmill pub on Thurlestone Walk, which police believe was between two large groups of around 20 men and women.

The victim was a 20-year-old local who had tried to intervene, but was punched repeatedly by three of the men. He has since been discharged from hospital.

Police are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.

Load more updates