Live updates

Advertisement

Written statement from company

Passenger comfort and safety is of paramount importance to both Cruise and Maritime Voyages and All Leisure Holidays and sincere apologies have been made to all the 657 passengers who boarded the 'Discovery' and lost out on this unique cruise.

A significant compensation package and full refund has been provided.

Owners and their technical manager's efforts are now focused on ensuring the 'Discovery' is in top shape for its next scheduled cruise on March 15.

– PATRICK ADAMSON, COMPANY SPOKESMAN

Cruise liner to stay in dock

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has issued a statement following its inspection of the Discovery cruise liner in Portland.

It says that the vessel will stay put until safety issues over drills and training have been addressed.

Following inspections on Friday 1 March, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) has issued a Detention Notice on the passenger ship Discovery, preventing the vessel from sailing at this time.

This will remain in place whilst the owners and crew undertake revisions to their safety management system."

– Maritime & Coastguard Agency

Advertisement

Inspection found safety issues

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency has told us that officials went on board the Discovery at the end of last week as part of a routine inspection, and found a number of issues with 'safety management systems'.

This related to crew familiarisation of the ship and training.

The MCA ordered that the vessel should remain in place until the owners had made a number of improvements.

Disappointment for hundreds of holidaymakers

Seven hundred passengers have been told that their cruise, a two-week trip around Norway, has been suddenly cancelled.

The Discovery was originally scheduled to sail from Avonmouth near Bristol but, due to tidal restrictions, it was re-routed to Portland in Dorset at the end of last week.

24 coaches transferred all passengers to Portland but the Captain then informed everyone on board that the cruise could not go ahead due to 'technical reasons'.

Passengers will all receive a full refund and £250 compensation per person.

The firm says that Discovery should be ready for its next scheduled departure from Avonmouth on March 15th.

Advertisement

Today's top stories