Live updates

Body of woman found in the sea off Portland

Police were called to Weymouth Harbour after reports that a body had been found in the sea Credit: Chris Ison/PA Wire

The body of a woman has been found in the sea off the coast of Portland.

Police were called to Weymouth Harbour after a passing boat alerted the emergency services.

Those on board the boat notified the coastguard at around 3.25pm after seeing something in the water.

A spokesman for Dorset Police says the body has now been recovered and the death is not being treated as suspicious.

Advertisement

Appeal over abduction attempt in Weymouth

Police in Weymouth are appealing for witnesses to come forward after a man approached a 10-year-old girl asking her to help find his dog.

When the victim told the offender she would tell her mother and the police, the man told her not to and grabbed her leg.

Credit: ITV West Country

The girl ran away and told a relative about the incident which happened on Prospect Place on 13 March. She was not physically injured.

Police are keen to speak to the man involved.

We do not know what the man’s intentions were but we are keen to trace to him and speak to him.

I am appealing to anyone who was in the area of Prospect Place on Sunday afternoon and saw a man matching the description to please call me on 101.

I know the footpath in Prospect Place and the nearby fields are popular with dog walkers. If you know who this man is, please call me urgently.

– PC Dale Collins, of Weymouth and Portland Police

Man killed at holiday park named

A man who died following a serious assault at a Dorset holiday park has been named as 36-year-old David Coxon.

Police were called to a report of a serious assault at Sandford Holiday Park along Organford Road at around 2.20am on Saturday March 5. They found David, from Torquay, with serious injuries. He later died at the scene.

41-year-old Jason James, also of Torquay, has been charged with manslaughter.

David Coxon was found with serious injuries at a holiday park in Dorset Credit: Dorset Police

Detectives continue to work on this investigation and I would appeal to any witnesses at Sandford Holiday Park, who are yet to speak with police, to contact us urgently.

It is also important to stress – as is typical in such circumstances – that it would be entirely inappropriate for Dorset Police to comment further ahead of the trial. It is vital that the justice system is allowed to follow its course.”

– Detective Inspector Mark Samuel, Senior investigating officer Dorset Police

Manslaughter charge over death of man at holiday park

Police are supporting the deceased's family. Credit: PA

A man has been charged with manslaughter over the death of another man in a Dorset holiday park.

Police were called to a report of a serious assault at Sandford Holiday Park along Organford Road at around 2.20am on Saturday 5 March. They found a man with serious injuries, who died at the scene.

His next of kin have been informed and HM Coroner has been made aware, although formal identification has yet to take place.

41-year-old Jason James of Torquay has been charged with manslaughter. He will appear before Bournemouth Magistrates’ Court later (Monday 7 March 2016).

Following a fast-moving and thorough investigation, we have consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service who authorised the charge of manslaughter.

Family liaison officers have updated the victim’s family with this development and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.

– Detective Inspector Mark Samuel, Dorset Police’s MCIT

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police in confidence on 101 quoting incident number 5:40. Or you can call the free and anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.

Two in hospital after alleged acid attack

Detectives investigating the alleged assault are appealing for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward Credit: PA

Police are investigating after what appears to be an acid attack in Weymouth.

Officers were called to an address in the Louviers Road area of the town late on Sunday 28 February. It was reported that two men went to the address and when a male victim answered the door a liquid believed to be acid was thrown in his face.

The male victim and a woman – both from Weymouth and in their twenties – sustained injuries after being in contact with "an acid-type substance". They were taken to hospital for treatment, where their condition is not life-threatening.

The male victim has been left with potentially life-changing injuries.

We believe that the people involved are known to each other. I am appealing to anyone who may have seen the two men, or has any information about the incident to contact police as soon as possible.

Also, I would like to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious vehicles in the area at the time.”

– Detective Sergeant Simon Austin, Weymouth CID

A 34-year-old man from Weymouth has been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm with intend and is currently assisting officers with their enquiries.

Description: man one

  • white
  • late 20s to early 30s
  • six feet tall approx.
  • medium build
  • short hair and stubble
  • dressed in dark clothing

Description: man two

  • white
  • mid 20s to mid 30s
  • large build
  • moustache or goatee
  • London accent
  • dressed in dark clothing

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police in confidence on 101 quoting incident number 28:384.

You can also give information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Police officer dismissed after misconduct hearing

A Dorset Police Officer has been dismissed after searching for himself and others on databases.

Police Constable Nigel Case, who was based at Bridport police station, was dismissed with 28 days’ notice, after being found guilty at a misconduct hearing.

The panel heard that Nigel Case carried out several searches of both himself and seven other people on the Criminal Justice Search and Police National Computer database between July 2011 and November 2014. These searches were not for a policing purpose.

The charge was found proven and amounted to misconduct.

A Dorset Police office has been dismissed after a misconduct hearing. Credit: ITV News

Nigel Case was found guilty of breaching the Standards of Professional Behaviour relating to confidentiality, duties and responsibilities and discreditable conduct.

The panel also found Nigel Case had telephoned one of the individuals concerned and disclosed police intelligence to them and this amounted to gross misconduct.

A further charge of conducting searches on nine other individuals was found not proven.

Having to dismiss PC Case was one of the saddest things I have had to do – a good officer with a fine record, which was supported by a number of character witnesses, and a well-liked and respected family man. However, PC Case was in a position of trust and had privileged access to computer systems that can only be used for policing purposes.

Ultimately the Police Service has to be the home of the highest standards of behaviour and decision making; the public expects nothing less and their confidence in us depends on our acting in a way that is honest, open and beyond reproach.

– ACC Lewis, panel chair,

Dorset Police's financial planning 'requires improvement'

A report published today says Dorset's police force requires improvement. Credit: ITV West Country

Dorset Police's financial planning requires improvement, according to a report published today.

The findings by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) says the force will only be able to respond to expected budget cuts if it develops clear and realistic financial plans.

Dorset Police says the poor assessment is itself a result of Government cuts.

Witness appeal after fatal collision in Weymouth

Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward after an elderly man died in a fatal collision in Weymouth.

One man has been arrested after the incident on Sunday 11 October. The victim was crossing Preston Beach Road with his wife at around 5:05pm when he was in a collision with a motorcycle.

He died at the scene. His wife was shocked but unharmed.

Dorset Police are appealing for witnesses Credit: PA

The motorcyclist was on a yellow Suzuki motorcycle travelling north. The 26-year-old man was thrown from his bike and broke both arms. He was taken to Dorset County Hospital.

The road was closed between Overcombe Corner and Greenhill while collision investigators examined the scene.

A 31-year-old man from Weymouth has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and has been released on police bail until mid-January 2016, pending further enquiries.

We know immediately before the collision occurred the motorcyclist was riding with another motorcyclist travelling on a purple and black Honda bike.

We are appealing to anyone who witnessed the collision and has not yet spoken to officers to please call Dorset Police

– Police Constable Andy Fields, Dorset Police’s Traffic Unit
Load more updates