Exeter City Football Club says the development of St James Park has been given the go ahead by the Secretary of State.
Plans to replace the ageing Stagecoach Family Stand had been put on hold.
But the club's crumbling grandstand will now be re-built along with a huge block of student flats.
The 1,600 seater Stagecoach stand will be replaced. The rebuild will be paid for by a new tower block for 312 students overlooking the ground.
It is thought the Secretary of State was asked to intervene by the St James' Neighbourhood Forum which was concerned at the number of student flats in a neighbourhood in which students already make up 55 per cent of residents.
Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale has been nominated for the Sky Bet League 2 Manager of the Month award for March.
City remained unbeaten throughout the month, and a haul of twelve points from six games was made even more special by a 100% record on the road, with wins at Cambridge United, Notts County and Crawley Town.
This is the second time that Tisdale has been nominated for Manager of the Month this season, and coincides with an unbeaten run stretching back to the victory over Stevenage on February 27th.
Bristol Rovers’ Darrell Clarke, Hartlepool United’s Craig Hignett and Yeovil Town’s Darren Way are the other managers in contention.
The winners will be announced on Friday 8th April.
Exeter City vs Plymouth Argyle April 2ndRead the full story ›
The multi-million pound development of Exeter City's St James' Park stadium has suffered a setback, after the Communities Secretary put a temporary holding order on the scheme.
The development would see the ageing grandstand replaced paid for by new student accommodation on site.
The rebuild would be paid for by a new tower block for over 300 students overlooking the ground.
It has won planning permission but a neighbourhood group is concerned about the number of students in the area. The scheme can't go ahead until the Government has investigated.
We have been made aware that the St James Forum have approached the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) asking the Secretary of State to intervene in the planning process for our Stadium Improvements.
The effect of this action is to stop the City Council confirming our Planning Permission until it has been decided whether the DCLG will take over the responsibility for the decision. We expect to hear within approximately three weeks whether or not this is going to happen.
Play was halted early on at Exeter City after fire alarms were triggered.
The Old Grandstand was evacuated after reports of smoke, but the match against Carlisle resumed within an hour. It's thought to have been a false alarm.
The team's Instagram page displayed this photo of the disruption.
Two of our sides were in action tonight.
In League Two Exeter City were beaten 2 - 0 away at strugglers York. The result means Yeovil drop into the relegation zone.
In the FA Trophy, Torquay beat Macclesfield 1-0 to move into the Quarter Finals where they'll face Bognor Regis later this month.
Exeter City's game against Oxford at St James Park has been called off due to bad weather.
The club says a pitch inspection forced them to postpone the game.
Exeter City have confirmed that David Wheeler has signed an extended contract with the club.
Described as 'one of the Grecians’ key performers so far this season', the forward has been at the club since August 2013.
He has scored seven goals in 26 appearances, in what has been his best goalscoring season for the club so far.
Exeter City striker Tom Nichols is to leave the club after being sold to Peterborough United for an undisclosed fee, thought to be in the region of £250,000.
A City academy graduate, Tom has been with the club since he played at under-11 level, and made his first-team debut for the club as a seventeen-year-old.
Since then he has played 113 games for the Grecians, scoring 34 goals.
Exeter City have signed Reading midfielder Jake Taylor on a free transfer.
The 24-year-old returns to the Grecians following a loan spell with the club which lasted for the majority of the 2011/12 season.
The twice-capped Welsh international spent the first part of the season on loan at Scottish Premiership side Motherwell, but has now completed the permanent move to St James Park - bringing to an end to a seventeen-year spell with the Royals.
He is a player we know very well with him having spent a season with us on loan four or five years ago. It is a good opportunity to keep building the squad ahead of next year, and he will come straight into the squad for Saturday.
He is a very versatile player. He is a very bright player and he comes to us with good experience. He has been to quite a few clubs on loan; but obviously his major loan was with us, and I see it as it being a pretty smooth fit in terms of someone coming into the club.
He knows us and we know him, and he will add going forward into next season as we are building the team.