The team tasked with restoring the Lyme Regis cinema which burnt down say it will be some time before they can start building work on-site.Read the full story ›
A fire which destroyed an art deco cinema in Dorset was down to an electrical fault, according to the fire services.
The roof of the Grade II listed Regent Cinema in Lyme Regis collapsed after the building was engulfed in flames last Tuesday afternoon.
Dorset Fire and Rescue says early indications show the fire began in a faulty light fitting.
The owners of the 1930s Art Deco cinema have vowed to rebuild it to its former glory.
A statement from the company said it was saddened by the loss of the building, which had recently been refurbished.
The roof of the Regent Cinema in Lyme Regis - which is a Grade II listed building from the 1930s - collapsed after being engulfed by flames.Read the full story ›
A cinema has been badly damaged in a fire. Black smoke poured from the roof and people with breathing problems were warned to stay indoorsRead the full story ›
Paul Saxon from Lyme Regis lives just down the road from the Regent Cinema which burst into flames earlier today, 22 March.
Here he describes the moment he found out it was on fire - at first he had no idea what the sound was... could it have even been shooting?
Video in film courtesy @alicesbearshop
Emergency services fighting to save a historic listed cinema in Lyme Regis have closed Broad Street in both directions.
Police advise that surrounding roads in the town centre are also affected - and some bus services have been diverted.
Crews from across Dorset, Devon and Somerset are currently tackling a serious fire at the Regent Cinema in Lyme Regis.
The roof of the listed 1930s building was found alight when emergency services arrived at the scene - it has since collapsed. Firefighters can only work on the flames from outside.
While the significant smoke plume continues to rise from the site, anyone in Lyme Regis who has a pre-existing respiratory condition is advised to keep doors and windows shut as a precaution.
Eight fire crews have been called out to try to fight a fire that's broken out in a cinema in Lyme Regis.
Crews have also been brought in from Taunton, Seaton and Axminster.
Emergency services have closed off both ends of the main thoroughfare through the town - it's affecting some bus services.
This is happening in Lyme Regis now! Stay away from Broad Street, it looks like the cinema is ablaze. https://t.co/I1hf8uuqDJ
Police are appealing after a charity box was stolen from outside a shop.
The box, in the shape of a life-size Golden Retriever and two puppies, collects donations for Guide Dogs For The Blind.
The theft took place between 5pm on Sunday January 24, and 9.45am the next day, outside the Pug and Puffin Gift Shop on Broad Street in Lyme Regis.
It was chained to the outside of the shop. It is not known if there was any money in the box at the time.
To steal a charity box is a despicable act and I am asking for the public’s help to locate it.
I am also appealing to anyone who may have witnessed anything suspicious in the area overnight to contact me on 101.
We don’t know the motive for the theft, so if the box was taken as a prank, we would ask those responsible to hand the box in to police.
More than 3,000 amateur guitarists have performed Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water in Lyme Regis as part of a record-breaking attempt.
Led by Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan, they set a new UK record for the largest number of guitarists playing at once.
Guitars on the Beach, organised by Geoff Baker, attracted worldwide interest and saw 3,325 musicians – including some from Canada, the USA and Germany - complete the record attempt.
Describing themselves as "Britain's Biggest Band", they have grown by more than a thousand members since last year, which saw 2,267 attend.