The mother of a little girl from Somerset has been explaining how her daughter caught meningitis from her cat when she was a baby.
Chelsea-Anne's daughter Sparkle almost died after contracting the disease from her pet cat's saliva. She was in hospital for 3 weeks.
A Plymouth mother has added her voice to calls for a vaccine to be introduced to combat the potentially deadly form of meninigtis. Anna Bolt's daughter was just 6 years old when she contracted bacterial meningitis - or Meningitis B - earlier this year.
The disease can be difficult to diagnose with symptoms ranging from a headache and stiff neck to vomiting, fever, a dislike of bright lights and a rash. Every week, six families in the UK lose a loved one because of it. Jeff Welch reports.
West Country mum, Anna Bolt, has been talking about her first hand experience of meningitis during Meningitis Awareness Week.
It's a disease which can strike without warning, killing one in ten.
Lily Bolt was six when she contracted bacterial meningitis earlier this year but has fortunately now made a full recovery.
As part of Meningitis Awareness Week, a West Country mum has been talking about her first hand experience of the disease. Anna Bolt's daughter Lily was just six when she contracted bacterial meningitis earlier this year.
It can strike without warning, killing one in ten, and leaving a quarter of survivors with life altering after effects. Fortunately her daughter has now made a full recovery.
A mother who lost her son to meningitis just two weeks before his wedding has launched a roadshow in Cornwall. Shane White from Lostwithiel was rushed to hospital after originally complaining of a sore throat and stomach ache. Just eight hours later he died.
Now Ros White is taking to the road to raise awarenesss of the signs and symptoms of a deadly disease.
Ros will be joined on her roadshow by Steve Dayman, the founder of Meningitis UK. To see our recent interview with him, click here.
To find out more about meningitis, click here.
Watch our new series featuring ordinary people across the region, whose lives have been altered completely by a life-changing experience.
Our first piece is the story of how a family tragedy 30 years ago started one man's crusade to eradicate the deadly disease of meningitis.
The Exeter Picturehouse cinema is to screen a special film highlighting the risks to children of developing meningitis. It's called Meningitis: Keep Watching - and will be shown to mothers and babies coming to the "Big Scream" screening.
It's part of a major new awareness campaign which is being co-ordinated by three west-based charities. Every week six families in the UK lose a loved one to meningitis and its associated diseases.