A mother from Devon has launched an appeal to prevent her son from having radiotherapy for cancer.
Sally Roberts lost a hight court battle last month when a judge ruled 7-year-old Neon Roberts needs the treatment for his brain tumour. It's due to take place next week but Ms Roberts says she's worried about the long term effect it will have on his development.
A mother from Devon has lost her fight to stop her son having radiotherapy treatment for cancer. Sally Roberts is worried her son could suffer long-term harm and she wants him to have alternative treatment.
But this afternoon a High Court judge ruled Neon Roberts should have radiotherapy to treat his brain tumour.
The judge said Neon's mother has been through a terrible time and added that this is every parent's nightmare, but he added he feared her judgement had gone awry.
A judge will decide tomorrow whether a 7-year-old Devon boy can have a second course of treatment for cancer against his mother's wishes.
Neon Roberts, from Tiverton, had an operation yesterday on the orders of a judge in the High Court.
Today the court was told the operation had gone well - but now the judge must decide whether to overrule the mother a second time - and approve radiotherapy which she fears will have long-term side-effects.
A second operation on a 7-year-old boy with cancer has gone well, a high court was told today. The operation to remove a small growth from Neon Robert's brain was ordered by the court on Tuesday against his mothers wishes.
Sally Roberts, from Tiverton said the operation was unnecessary and disputed doctors' diagnoses. She is back at the high court today to argue against follow up treatment using radiotherapy or chemotherapy, because they have harmful side effects.
She wants the right to call in overseas medical experts, and the court hearing was adjourned so that she could talk to a new barrister acting on her behalf.
Neon Roberts is "as sharp as ever" after his cancer surgery, which took place despite his mother's objections following a court ruling, reports the Daily Mail.
The seven-year-old's mother Sally Roberts wanted any operation on her son Neon delayed because she wanted opinions from doctors in Russia, Germany and the US but the Judge who assessed the evidence said the gains of going ahead with surgery outweighed the risks.
The Daily Mail reports that Neon woke up following the seven-hour procedure telling nurses: "I can still talk, you know."
Today Neon's mother will renew her fight at the High Court today over planned radiotherapy for her son. Ms Roberts claims the therapy will cause Neon long-term harm.
But doctors say he might die within months without it.
Another High Court hearing is due to begin later over the cancer treatment of seven-year-old Neon Roberts.
It will centre around whether he should have radiotherapy. His mother Sally Roberts ran away with her son Neon to stop him having treatment.
She wanted the operation delayed until more doctors had been consulted. But a High court judge agreed with medical experts that surgery needed to be completed urgently. Judge Bodey told the court it was likely he would make a ruling by the end of week on any further treatment.