With sunny weather predicted for this week, many people will be going outside, whether for a casual stroll in the countryside or hiking across Dartmoor.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service are reminding walkers and campers to be mindful of the impact and damage that a gorse fire has on the environment.
- extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials properly
- never throw cigarette ends out of car windows
- don’t leave bottles or glass in woodlands – sunlight shining through glass can start fires; take them home or put them in a waste or recycling bin
- avoid using open fires in the countryside
- if you see a fire in the countryside, report it immediately
- don’t attempt to tackle fires that can’t be put out with a bucket of water – leave the area as quickly as possible.
Firefighters from across the South West have been preparing to tackle wildfires as part of a training exercise. Firefighters practised using a pump and long hose to bring water several miles over land from a quarry.