Devon is seeking emergency Government funding to help with the cost of last weekend's flood damage. Devon County Council says it will cost more than £1m to clear up the flood damage as well as more than £3m to repair Devon's highway network.
We will have to apply to the Government for emergency funding under the Bellwin scheme. The overall costs of the clear up will be over £1 million and are expected to increase further, and the repair costs are in excess of £3 million. That is based on just 25% of the network surveyed so far, so these costs are also likely to rise. We have further warnings of more heavy rain for tomorrow and Friday this week so we have to be prepared to expect the possibility of further disruption.
The council says more than 140 homes in the county were damaged by flood water. Highways teams are continuing to clear debris, drainage ditches and blocked drains on major roads. Landslides are also being removed from roads. The damage is still being assessed.
It appears there is unlikely to be any let up in the relentless rain showers that have battered the Westcountry over the past few days.
Communities in Devon hit by floods over the weekend have been praised by Devon County Council. Many residents are still clearing up.
Dozens of people are clearing up after heavy rain burst rivers and flooded homes. Devon and Dorset hardest hit.