The owners of a hotel in Bideford have been ordered to pay £40,000 plus £10,000 in legal costs for breaking safety rules after guests were trapped by a blaze and rescued from its roof last year.
A court heard the company running the Tantons Hotel in Bideford had ignored recommendations in fire safety reports. The emergency services say it was only their swift action that ensured no one was killed.
Richard Lawrence reports:
More top news
After more than a year of waiting, the brand new series of Broadchurch finally airs tonight. Kylie Pentelow caught up with the stars.
Six people are being treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after a CO alarm went off at a property in Camborne
NHS campaigners are taking action to publicise the damage they believe is being done to the NHS by the current government.