Family of seven treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

The fire service says every home should have a carbon monoxide alarm. Credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire

A family of seven in Ottery St Mary in East Devon is being treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Ambulance crews were called to their home earlier today.

The parents and five children were evacuated from the house and were taken to hospital as a precaution.

The family had a carbon monoxide detector which went off. Fire crews obtained a reading which was found to be a higher than safe level.

Meanwhile, the inquest into the deaths of three people from Camborne who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning last week, opened today.

The bodies of John Cook, his wife Audrey and their daughter Maureen were found in their static home at the Tremarle Park on Saturday.

Twenty times the fatal dose of the gas was recorded at their home.