Carbon monoxide warning for campers

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.

Bethan O'Brien from Andover, Hampshire died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a campsite in Braunton.

It was reported that a gas heater had been used inside the tent she was sharing with two friends.

The 20-year-old died despite attempts at CPR while her companions were treated at hospital.

At a nearby camp site signs are clearly displayed also warning of the dangers of smoke inside tents.

Signs at this campsite in Braunton warn holidaymakers about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Credit: ITV News West Country

Advertisement

Campsite CO warning

Holidaymakers coming to the West Country this weekend are being warned to be carbon monoxide aware following the death of a young woman in North Devon last weekend.