People in Somerset are being warned to watch out for bogus callers claiming be from the County Council.
It says residents are being asked for information for an NHS survey relating to an accident. The council says they should hang up without releasing any personal details.
They can also report the call to Devon and Somerset Trading Standards.
How do I know if it’s a scam?
Trading Standards advises you to ask yourself the following – if you can answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions, there is a good chance someone is trying to scam you – in which case you should hang up.
- Was the offer unsolicited?
- Do I have to respond straight away?
- Do I have to ring a premium rate number?
- Do I have to give my bank or credit card details?
- Is the business reluctant to give their address or contact details?
- Am I being asked to keep it confidential?
- Does it look too good to be true?