Following a dramatic rise in the number of incidents of sheep rustling in the region over the last fortnight, here are a few guidelines in keeping a flock safe from thieves.
Advice to farmers:
- ensure that your animals are tagged
- boundaries and gates should be kept in good order and wherever possible locked
- put something heavy in front of gates to make life harder for thieves
- don’t leave trailers or anything that can be used to steal/transport the sheep
- don’t leave keys in vehicles, even if they are in your yard
- if you are keeping or rearing animals in barns or out-buildings, make sure that gates and doors are locked