Live updates

Opposition party declares victory in Nigeria election

Nigeria's opposition All Progressive's Congress has declared an "historic" election victory for the African nation, becoming the first party to overthrow the sitting government through a democratic vote.

APC supporters celebrate as they watch the election results come in Credit: Reuters

With 35 of 36 states now declared, the APC had 15.1 million votes against 11.7m for the People's Democratic Party, whose leader and former president, Goodluck Jonathan, is now set be replaced by APC's former military leader Muhammadu Buhari.

APC spokesman Lai Mohammed said there was "no reason" to suspect that Jonathan would refuse to concede, after announcing before the election that he would relinquish power if he was voted out in a "free and fair election".

APC leader Muhammadu Buhari casts his vote at a previous election in 2007 Credit: Reuters

The run-up to the election period has been plagued with violence from Islamist extremist group Boko Haram, which saw a surge in membership during Jonathan's five years in charge.

But bar some technical glitches and a Boko Haram attack which left more than a dozen voters dead, the election has been been the smoothest in most orderly in recent history.

Advertisement

Children's bodies removed from apartment in Gibraltar

The bodies of two adults and two children were found in a flat in Gibraltar on Monday. Credit: Reuters/Jon Nazca

The bodies of two young children have been removed from a flat in Gibraltar where they were found dead along with a man and a woman, police have said.

A 31-year-old British man, 37-year-old Spanish woman, four-year-old girl and six-week-old baby girl were discovered with knife wounds on Monday.

Royal Gibraltar Police said in a statement: "There has been and continues to be a lot of speculation in this very unfortunate event, but the investigating team are not prepared at this moment in time to elaborate on this, other than to stress that the scene of investigation has not been an easy environment to work in and that the deceased did have wounds to their bodies."

The force said it was not currently in a position to release the identities of those who died.

The British man involved was originally from Liverpool, according to police sources quoted by El Mundo newspaper.

The paper said the four-year-old girl was believed to be the woman's daughter from a previous relationship, while the baby had been born in Spain.

The family are thought to have been in Gibraltar since late last week after arriving from Spain, but police said it was not yet clear if they were on their way to the UK or planning to stay in Gibraltar.

Turkish far-left group take prosecutor hostage

Teenager Berkin Elvan died following anti-government protests in Istanbul. Credit: REUTERS/Serkan Senturk

A far-left Turkish group have taken an Istanbul prosecutor hostage and threatened on its website to kill him.

The Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) published a picture of the prosecutor with a gun to his head, prompting special forces officers to enter the courthouse as people inside the building were evacuated.

The prosecutor is leading an investigation into the death last year of a teenager, Berkin Elvan, wounded during anti-government protests in June 2013.

Television footage showed special forces officers entering the building.

Advertisement

Inquest opens into death of Tunisia museum victim

Sally Adey was on a cruise when she was killed on a trip to the Bardo museum. Credit: Metropolitan Police

A British tourist killed in a terror attack in Tunisia died of gunshot wounds to her abdomen and pelvis, a coroner has heard at the opening of the inquest into her death.

Mother-of-two Sally Adey, from Shropshire, died in the shooting at the Bardo National Museum in Tunis on March 18th.

She had been on a Mediterranean cruise with her 52-year-old husband Robert, who survived the attack.

Ms Hartridge said a post-mortem examination carried out in the UK by a Home Office pathologist on March 25th had established provisional cause of death as "consistent with gunshot wounds to the abdomen and pelvis".

More than 20 people were killed in the attack, including 17 cruise ship tourists and two gunmen.

Gibraltar deaths 'appear to be murder-suicide'

A spokesman for the Royal Gibraltar Police confirmed that "at present" the deaths appeared to be a murder-suicide.

The spokesman said he understood that next of kin in the UK have been informed of the tragedy.

A member of staff of the company that was letting out the flat, which is a rental property, attended the residence.

They got no answer from within but noticed that the house was locked from inside and that sent a few alarm bells ringing and they decided to call the police.

At the moment what we are doing is trying to get as much background information from both the Spanish and the UK sides of the family.

These people had only been in Gibraltar for a few days, I think it was either last Thursday or Friday that they arrived.

We are trying to discover if they were here in transit to the UK or whether they were planning on staying for any length of time in Gibraltar.

A Home Office forensic pathologist is expected to travel to Gibraltar in the next couple of days to perform post-mortem examinations on the bodies.?

Load more updates