Southampton striker banned on drink-driving charge

Guly Do Prado admitted drink-driving. Photo: PA

Southampton striker Guly Do Prado has been banned from the road for a year and fined £2,500 after admitting drink-driving.

Do Prado was stopped by police in Southampton on August 27 while driving his £70,000 black Porsche Panamera in the early hours.

Officers were responding to reports of a possible drink-driver and followed the two-year-old car before stopping it in the city's High Street at 4.35am, Southampton Magistrates' Court heard.

The Brazilian-born 30-year-old failed the breath test and was found to have 57 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Dressed in a grey suit jacket, grey cardigan and ripped jeans, Do Prado came to court with several minders.

At one point he was told by the court clerk to take his hands out of his pockets.

Philip Somarakis, in mitigation, said: "There is no suggestion that Mr Do Prado's driving was affected. He was respectful and compliant.

"He is very sorry to be appearing before the court and bringing unwanted attention on him and his club."

Mr Somarakis said Do Prado's club had already dealt with the matter but he did not give details of any sanction.

The player, whose full name is Guilherme Do Prado Raymundo, and who lives in Channel Way, Southampton, was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

He was told that if he paid for and completed a drink-drive awareness course he would receive a 25% reduction in his ban.